Strategies for Healthy Aging
By: Brian St. Pierre, CSCS, CISSN
Over the past century life expectancy has grown tremendously to nearly 80 years of age. This increase has led to a surge in interest on the best methods to maintain our youth, and age as gracefully and healthfully as possible. This is probably due to the fact that we now die less from infectious disease, and more from chronic, degenerative diseases.
People don’t want to live longer with a poor quality of life; we want to live longer while maintaining a high level of functional capacity and high quality of life. This is where eating a balanced diet rich in real, whole, minimally processed foods, exercising regularly, minimizing stress, and supplementing appropriately comes into play.
There is an absolute boatload of information out there on how to maximize your nutrition, exercise to improve your health, and steps you can take to minimize stress. But what about proper supplementation?
Unfortunately there is also a lot of hyperbole and misinformation on supplementation. What foods, extracts, or compounds have actually been shown improve your quality of life as you age?
Well a few of these foods are green tea, pomegranates, and a compound in red wine called resveratrol. They each have their own uniquely powerful benefits that contribute to your health, and help you to maintain your energy and vitality as you age.
Green tea contains some powerful compounds called catechins, with the most studied and most beneficial catechin being epigallocatechin-3-gallate, or EGCG. EGCG makes up about 10-50% of the total catechin content of green tea, and it is 25-100 times more powerful than vitamins C and E!
EGCG has many powerful properties, it may:
• block the mutation of cells
• reduce cell damage
• block the liver enzymes that convert certain compounds into cancer-causing agents
• reduce the damage to blood vessels in smokers
• boost white blood cell counts
• decrease blood pressure
• decrease blood sugar
• help maintain a healthy bodyweight
• decrease risk for 7 cancers and counting
Pomegranate is one amazing fruit with tons of health benefits of its own. There was a recent study that looked at 10 different antioxidant-rich beverages, and ranked them according to four different methods of antioxidant capacity and potency: oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC), trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC), 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), and ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP), as well as their ability to prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
After all this data had been taken into account, the beverage with the greatest antioxidant capability was pomegranate juice!
• decrease your blood pressure
• slow the progression of prostate, lung and breast cancer
• reduce plaque in the arteries
• increase blood flow to the heart and genitals (a natural Viagra?)
• prevent the deterioration of cartilage
• prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease
• contain anti-microbial properties
Resveratrol is another highly-studied compound that may help you age more gracefully. In the same study that found pomegranate juice to have the highest total antioxidant capability, red wine and concord grape juice came in second and third respectively. These are the two greatest sources of resveratrol on the planet!
In a recent study done on mice, it was found that those given resveratrol for one year had significantly less symptoms of cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, cataracts, and decline in motor coordination compared to mice that did not get it. The resveratrol-treated mice also had liver and muscle tissues resembling much younger animals. Clearly that is one way to age more gracefully!
Other data has found that resveratrol can activate Sirt1, which is a protein that helps to regulate lifespan in several animals. Stimulation of Sirt1 actually seems to slow down the aging process!
To truly maintain your energy and vitality requires a combination of high-quality nutrition, regular exercise, stress management, and appropriate supplementation. Consuming a diet that maintains a healthy weight and contains plenty of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant compounds is essential - as is regular exercise and ensuring plenty of high-quality sleep.
Consistency is also the key to benefitting from these anti-oxidant compounds which is why you see these natural ingredients in supplement form. Using specific supplementation to maximize your ability to neutralize free radicals, decrease inflammation, and slow down the aging process seems to be the most effective method for promoting healthy aging. It allows you to be be consistent with consuming these quality anti-aging nutrients so that your body can clean itself of the damaging free radicals.
Start benefiting today by getting consistent with your very own anti-aging supplement, Rejuvenator 6x. Rejuvenator 6x contains natural anti-inflammatory compounds, like discussed above, to help you fight off the free radicals causing damage to your body.
NEXT: Prevent Premature Aging By Reading This Vital Health Update On Other Anti-Aging Nutrients.
• Moderno PM, Carvalho M, Silva BM. Recent patents on Camellia sinensis: source of health promoting compounds. Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric. 2009 Nov;1(3):182-92.
• Clement Y. Can green tea do that? A literature review of the clinical evidence. Prev Med. 2009 Aug-Sep;49(2-3):83-7.
• Seeram NP, et al. Comparison of antioxidant potency of commonly consumed polyphenol-rich beverages in the United States. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Feb 27;56(4):1415-22.
• Basu A, Penugonda K. Pomegranate juice: a heart-healthy fruit juice. Nutr Rev. 2009 Jan;67(1):49-56.
• Baur JA, Pearson KJ, Price NL, et al. Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet. Nature. 2006 Nov 16;444(7117):337-42.
• Chung S, Yao H et al. Regulation of SIRT1 in cellular functions: role of polyphenols. Arch Biochem Biophys. Sep 2010;501(1):79-90.